Crunchy Oven-Fried Fish

First of all, I think this is a great idea and I hope everyone will post lots of their favorite recipes.  I feel like I call for recipes all the time, especially mom, so this is a good way to share and keep them organized in one place too, so thanks Rachel!

I'm making this fish tonight, and it's really yummy so I thought I would post the recipe for you guys to try.  I love, love, fried fish and it's really tempting to order it all the time with all the great seafood we have out here in MA, but it's not the healthiest choice.  I found this recipe in a recent Weight Watchers magazine and decided to try it, as it claims is is just like the "reel" deal, and I have to say, it is about as close as you can get. Enjoy!
Prep: 20 min - Bake: 20 min - Serves: 4

1/4 C all-purpose flour
3 large egg whites
1/3 C fat-free mayonnaise
2 T all-purpose flour
3/4 t paprika
1/2 t garlic powder
4 high-fiber crispbreads, crushed
1 1/2 t olive oil
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
8 (3 oz) tilapia fillets
salt and pepper to taste
4 lemon wedges



Preheat oven to 425.  Place large rack in large rimmed baking pan; spray rack with non-stick spray.  Place 1/4 C flour in a sheet of wax paper.  Beat egg whites in a shallow bowl until frothy; whisk in mayo, flour, paprika, and garlic powder.  Crush crispbreads into fine crumbs; transfer to pie plate.  Add olive oil, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t black pepper; toss well until crumbs are evenly moistened.  Sprinkle tilapia fillets with salt and black pepper.  Working with one fillet at a time, coat both sides with flour, tapping off excess; then dip in mayonnaise mixture and then in crumbs, pressing to adhere.  Transfer prepared fillet to rack.  Bake fillets until firm and coating is browned, about 20 minutes.  Serve with 4 lemon wedges.

I use the Wasa crispbreads and grind them in my food processor, but you could probably substitute cornflake crumbs for a similar taste, but probably less fiber.  Also, I used 4 just for our 2 filets, so I'm either doing too thick of a coating or the Wasa crispbreads are small so you may have to adjust this.

per serving (2 fish fillets with 1 lemon wedge): 280 cal, 5 g total fat, 1 g sat. fat, 0 trans fat, 92 mg chol, 676 mg sod, 21 g total carb, 2 g total sugar, 3 g fib, 37 g protein, 37 mg calc.  PointPlus value: 7

Comments

Rachel said…
Yeah! Someone else posted. I think I might have to teach Mom how to post, because I want all of her good recipes. Bethany, you should list out the ingredients, because I'm eventually going to turn this into a recipe book.
John + Bethany said…
Okay, I edited it.

And mom will probably need a blogging tutorial or something. :-)
Pam Youngs said…
So you think I'm kind of dumb about blogging-well you may be correct, but I will try to figure it all out. I just need to make time to add some recipes.
John + Bethany said…
Mom! Of course I do not think you are dumb! I just don't know how much blog posting you have done and so a tutorial could be helpful. :-)
Rachel said…
I made this tonight and I thought it was really good. For some reason I have a hard time making fish taste good, but this was easy and delicious. I almost forgot to put the lemon on, but it really added a lot to the flavor.
Ashley H said…
Thanks for the recipe. I had this magazine, made the recipe 1 time then some how the magazine disappeared and I lost it. I've been searching to try to find the same recipe its sooooo good and I love the fact its only 5g of fat!

Popular posts from this blog

Spaghetti Sauce

Canned Salsa