Canned Salsa

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 Bushel of tomatoes (5 gallon bucket), peel and cored
  • 8-10 Jalapenos, chopped and seeded
  • 15-25 Anaheim chili peppers, chopped and seeded
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 5 large onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup non-iodized salt
  • 1 Tbs cumin
  • 1 Tbs oregano
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 12 oz tomato paste
  • 2 Tbs Sugar

Preparation Instructions:

Blanch tomatoes by placing in boiling water for 30-60 seconds and then removing them to ice water.  Peel and core tomatoes.  Seed and roughly chop the peppers.  WARNING!! Wear gloves to cut the peppers to avoid burning your hands!!!!  Peel and roughly chop onions.  Use a food processor or blender to chop salsa to desired consistency or you can mash or cut with a knife if you don't own a food processor.  Place all of the ingredients in a large sauce pot.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Let simmer for 10 minutes.  *Some people I know let their salsa simmer for and hour or two so that it is thicker.  You don't really have to do that, but you can if you want to.  Process pints 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner (25 minutes if you live in Utah :)

Comments

John + Bethany said…
Glad you posted this! I like the warning about wearing gloves, Kayla learned that lesson the hard way last year. Also, because we like garlic, I think I used more like 8-10 cloves of garlic when I made this. And another trick to helping your salsa thicken without a long cooking time is to juice them pretty well to get rid of the seeds and excess water first. I wish I could make more salsa this year, but maybe if you guys do you will give me 1 or 2 jars to bring back to MA with me?
Debi said…
Can you use dried oregano or does it need to fresh?
Rachel said…
I should have specified, but yes it is dried oregano. You could probably use fresh, but you would probably need more than a tablespoon. I also usually use more garlic too. That is what the recipe said that was given to us, but you can just add it to taste.

Popular posts from this blog

Crunchy Oven-Fried Fish

Spaghetti Sauce