Macaroni and Cheese

I made this recipe for the second time tonight.  As I was eating cold leftovers after my workout, and still thinking it was pretty delicious, I decided it was post worthy.  I got this from allrecipes.com, but I didn't keep the original link.  This is pretty quick to make, and doesn't require any baking.  A very yummy alternative to fake cheese!  I'm not sure how many calories are in this, but probably a lot.

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard, dissolved in 1 tsp of water
1/2 pound dry elbow macaroni (about 2 cups)
4 Tbs unsalted butter
12 oz cheddar cheese (about 3 cups)

Directions:
1. Mix eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk, pepper sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard mix in a bowl, set aside.
2. Heat 2 quarts water to boil.  Add macaroni and cook until almost tender, but still a little bit firm.  Drain and return to pan over low heat.  Add butter and toss to melt. 
3. Pour egg mixture over buttered noodles along with 3/4 of the cheese.  Sir until thoroughly combined and the cheese starts to melt.  Gradually add remaining milk and cheese, stirring constantly until mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately. 

Notes: The first time I made this, I didn't add all of the remaining milk, because it seemed a little bit runny.  The second time, I added all of the milk and I think it was a lot better.  As it cools, it thickens a bit and the extra milk made the texture a lot smoother.  I also blended some of it up in the food processor and then stirred in steamed broccoli, and it made a delicious baby food. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crunchy Oven-Fried Fish

Spaghetti Sauce

Canned Salsa