Parmesan Sage Pork Chops

I don't remember eating pork chops growing up, but we eat them about once a week in our house, 
partly because I found this tasty recipe on allrecipes.com.  The only down side in summer is
that I hate cooking anything in the oven when it's hot weather because it makes our house extra hot.  But today is rainy and in the 70s so we are having these tonight.






Ingredients


  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Dash pepper
  • 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 bone-in pork loin chops
  • 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine

Directions

  1. In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, sage and lemon peel. Place egg in shallow bowl. Coat pork chops with flour mixture, dip in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
  2. In a skillet, brown chops in oil and butter for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F.



My notes:  I use whatever pork chops I have in the freezer, which means whatever was on sale.  I have done bone-in and boneless and actually prefer boneless.  I cut the bread crumbs to 1/2 C and the cheese to 1/4 C and I still end up throwing some away (you will of course have to adjust based on how many you are feeding).  If I don't have any lemons for zest, I just use lemon pepper in the flour in place of the salt and pepper.  I also cut the oil/but to 1 teaspoon each and it still seems like plenty.  Also, one time I didn't have bread crumbs so I used corn flake crumbs and it turned out really good too.  Basically what we love about this is that it's a light breading, not fried, and we love the sage/Parmesan/lemon combo-it really enhances the flavor of the pork chop without any one flavor dominating.  Enjoy!

Comments

Debi said…
I made this for Sunday dinner and it was so delicious! Loved the flavors. THanks Bethany!

Popular posts from this blog

Crunchy Oven-Fried Fish

Spaghetti Sauce

Canned Salsa